Northport Online
(146850-A)

SITEMAP/FEEDBACK/FAQ’s/POLICY/DISCLAIMER

Third terminal can handle up to 30m TEUs

PORT KLANG: The third terminal, which is still under government review, will be capable of handling up to 30 million 20-foot equivalent units TEUs a year.


Deputy Transport Minister Datuk Abdul Aziz Kaprawi said the government is studying two locations in Port Klang to build the terminal to meet demand and cater for the needs of shipping lines.


“The government is still conducting a [feasibility] study on the proposed terminal. It is expected to be completed by next year,” he told a media briefing after launching Northport (M) Bhd’s newly expanded wharf, Wharf 8A, yesterday.


Abdul Aziz said local port operators must upgrade their facilities in view of the country's position as a major sea route linking East Asia to Southeast Asia, West Asia and Europe.


He said the government has always supported the development of the port as about 90% of global trade is done mainly by sea.


Earlier, NCB Holdings Bhd chairman Tun Ahmad Sarji Abdul Hamid said Wharf 8A, which was fully operational in December last year, can berth vessels with deep draft of up to 17m.


Ahmad Sarji said the new infrastructure, which is part of Northport’s Container Terminal 4 and cost RM350 million, would allow the port to improve its productivity and enhance customer satisfaction by meeting its target of berth on arrival and timely departure, which translates into shorter port stays.


“With the government’s renewal of the lease concession for another 30 years from December 2013, Northport will continue its commitment to provide the best quality port services with the highest standard of safety towards total customer satisfaction and delightful experience,” he said. — Bernama

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Source: The Edge

Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Previous | Next

Previous | Next

2011 2012 2013 News
Media Centre - News & Announcements